Sometimes the day is gone before you know what you’ve accomplished. You’re exhausted because the day was non-stop. But, you have this nagging thought that nothing you did mattered. You feel like a complete failure.
Not so fast.
Here are 5 simple things you can do today, and every day, to know you are making a difference:
- Give a hug, get a hug. You need physical contact from those you love. Your littles do too. Go ahead. Wrap your arms around each little and feel their sweet arms wrap around you. Is your son in a grumpy mood? Grab him and hug him even though he’ll probably squirm. He might even end up smiling. Bonus: you’ll feel better too.
- Affirm each little. Be specific. What is one thing you can tell each little today that you love about them or that they do well? You love to receive honest affirmations. Your littles do too. When that strong-willed little is getting on your last nerve, verbalize one thing they do well. Affirmation is good for their soul and yours. Plus, it focuses you and your little on the positive instead of the negative.
- Provide nutritious food. Big or little, our bodies need good food—to grow strong, to think well, and to balance the sugar/insulin levels. Therefore, what you feed your littles matters. Instead of cookies, how about a piece of fruit? Instead of a Snackable™, whip together a quick sandwich or soup. Good nutrition provides much needed energy. And as a momma of littles, you need all the energy you can get.
- Laugh. A lot or a little, just laugh. If you have littles, something silly happens every day. You can always have a tickle fight, or play peek-a-boo, or some other game that incites laughter. The Bible says a cheerful heart makes your heart sing. Go ahead. Throw your head back and laugh out loud. It does your heart, and your family’s hearts, good.
- Keep your word. If you say it, do it. Sounds simple. But when you are in the heat of the moment, tired, irritated, and holding on to the last thread of your rope, sometimes you issue an empty threat. You are in danger of breaking your word. And when you do, you teach your littles you can’t be trusted. Make sure that you say what you mean and you mean what you say. This is an integrity issue. And it is modeled for your littles every day.
Five simple actions you can practice every day. You are not a failure. You are a mom. And sometimes, in spite of the busyness of the day, nothing seems to get done. That’s okay.
Not every day is carefree and easy and, yes, even “productive.”
However, even on those “just make it through it” days, you can practice these five actions. Who knows? You might find the temperature in your home changing. More importantly, I believe you will find your attitude changing. And that’s a very good thing because you are living your legacy today.
How else do you know you are making a difference every day? Leave a comment below.
Live your legacy today,
Kirsten D. Samuel
Aftershock Recovery Coach
8-week Program, Custom-paced Coaching, Remote or In-person Sessions